Monday, January 11, 2016

Introduction

This blog was created as place to talk about accessibility, design that occurs because of access, and disabilities.  These are complicated topics.  How did I get to a point in my life where I feel like sharing this information?

I have a physical disability myself, that I was born with, called Arthrogryposis Multiplex Congenita (AMC) and although many people, even my closest friends, don't know it, I wear leg braces when I walk long distances (I usually hide them as I am not fond of the stares from curious minds), actually I usually have the leg braces on so that I don't need to worry as much about the length of the walk.

I have had multiple foot surgeries and that is what brought me to study architecture in the first place.  My first foot surgeries were done on both feet at the same time, I was twelve.  I used a wheelchair for eight weeks.  At that point, the way I saw the world around me changed.  I saw a world that wasn't designed for me, that wasn't comfortable with me and that secluded me.  I went to the mall where I struggled to get customer service for shopping, I had to stay home from school because the building wasn't accessible (although the school was nice enough to send a tutor for me each day so I could still have access to the material).  At that point I knew I wanted to be a part of changing the way the world viewed me and how I fit into the world.  I dreamt of changing the world with a degree in architecture school. 

Well, as I grew up I began to realize changing the whole world may not be that easy, but making small differences in lives might be useful.  I studied architecture, then went back to school to learn how people who are blind and visually impaired travel through the environment.  I became certified in orientation and mobility, a field I fell in love with.  I am additionally finishing a degree in vision rehabilitation therapy where I can help teach people who have lost vision to complete daily living skills again with the help of some tips, tricks and safety techniques.  This is really enough about me…

The posts in this blog will focus on access, design and disability related topics, this includes, physical spaces, and how the world around people with disabilities reacts, changes and adapts.  Please let me know if you have any questions!  I hope you enjoy. 

 

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to hearing more, as mom to a young man who is blind and uses a wheelchair! We have traveled to Europe two times and before going I was quite concerned with access. Fortunately for my husband and I, Jake only weighs 80 lbs and can be lifted with or without his chair and sometimes the help of interested passers by!

    ReplyDelete